Thursday, January 26, 2012

Vignette 7 - The Mighty Bell Curve!

January 24th, 2012

How did  Mrs. Vandekamp's decision affect Dakota's grade and life?

     Speaking from the perspective of a student who detests competition, I can say that Mrs. Vandekamp's decision seriously discouraged this young lady.  Bell curves serve to increase the competition between students in a class.  Essentially, it doesn't matter what mark you receive on any assignment, only where your mark sits in comparison to those of your classmates.  Although Dakota rarely received a mark of less than 80%, she ended up with a final mark of 79%.  Even though she put forth her best efforts, she was unable to out perform 6 of her classmates.  This teacher taught Dakota that her efforts are irrelevant.  Her marks aren't based on her work, but on her academic standing among the rest of her class.
     As anxious as she was to receive the Rutherford Scholarship, I wonder if she was of a low socioeconomic standing.  Perhaps she needed that scholarship to get into post-secondary school, which may no longer be possible for her, thanks to Mrs. Vandekamp.

What is the basis for Mrs. Vandekamp's grading practice?

     I can't say exactly what her motivations may have been, because I've never had the displeasure of working with a norm-referenced approach.  I sincerely hope I never have to. I want my students to be rewarded appropriately for their hard work.

How does Dakota's mark reflect her actual achievement?

Dakota's mark only mildly reflects her actual achievement.  As I stated above, her final grade is decided only by how her grade compares to those of her classmates.  It's possible that she had a mark of 89% and that 6 others had marks greater than that.  Therefore, the six slots of 80% would have been filled.  I think this is a terrible shame.  Pitting students against one another makes the learning environment hostile, and therefore hinders the learning process.  This is the opposite that teachers should be doing.  Teachers should encourage children in their learning.  They should ensure the learning environment is a safe and positive one, and they should reward students appropriately for their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment